Friday, May 18, 2007

Rainy week

Finally a little rain this week. I have been so busy at work this week that I haven't spent much time in the garden, although I did take a minute to check on the vegetables, and long enough to note that I really need to cut the grass sometime. Still no pumpkin sprouts (I can almost hear Pat Morita chiding, "Patience, young grasshopper..." but the peppers and eggplants are thriving.

One of the websites I checked once for gardening tips suggested making a sort of natural organic fertilizer tea with rain water and whatever food/garden waste/clippings you can find. Out of curiosity, I tried it this month, leaving a 5 gallon bucket in a corner of my yard partially stuffed with kitchen scraps and dead leaves and letting it fill with water. Just like the instructions said, I have been ladeling the green goo out with an old coffee cup. I'm sure it's helping...somehow, but for now its main use is as a mosquito farm. I'll withhold judgement another week, although getting chewed up every time I go near it isn't helping.

No comments: