Sunday, June 24, 2007

Pugs, Pumpkins, and Shorts

A recent email through this site asked if that is my Pug pictured to the right. No, it's not, it's a photo swiped from somewhere on the internet earlier this year. That in mind, it's a dead-ringer for my now 9-year old Pug when he was a puppy.

My two surviving pumpkin plants have really taken off. I let a mid-afternoon thunderstorm take care of the watering today, then Miracel-gro'd them heavily. The weather around here is supposed to be nearly perfect for the next week - sunny and low 80's, so I am really hoping the plants make up some more ground. I am still planning on picking off all flowers until late July to help make the plants focus on root development, but once fruit sets, it's off to the races.

Dill's Atlantic Giant, the variety of pumpkin I planted, is known in Latin as Cucurbitus Maxima", I discovered today. In English, that translates into "Really damn big squash". I can only hope.

After three summers of being worn almost daily, my favorite pair of shorts has gone kablooie after I caught my back pocket on the door frame of my truck. They are now relegated to yard work and any other time where having a significant part of the seat torn out and then amateurily resewn isn't a handicap. They're comfortable, have huge pockets, and wear like iron.
http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID=511&dept=2&number=73312

No comments: